Apr 192019
 

The story in of itself isn’t always strong, but easily made up with some great performances from Felicity Jones and Armie Hammer, though if you want to know more about Ginsberg, the documentary RBG is the better way to go.

 

 

On the Basis of Sex
(2018)

Genre(s): Drama, Biography
Universal | PG13 – 120 min. – $32.98 | April 9, 2019

Date Published: 04/19/2019 | Author: The Movieman


MOVIE INFO:
Directed by: Mimi Leder
Writer(s): Daniel Stepleman (written by)
Cast: Felicity Jones, Armie Hammer, Justin Theroux, Sam Waterston, Jack Reynor, Cailee Spaeny, Kathy Bates, Stephen Root
DISC INFO:
Features: Featurettes
Slip Cover: Yes
Digital Copy: Yes
Formats Included: Blu-ray, DVD
Number of Discs: 2
Audio: English (DTS-HD MA 5.1), French (DTS 5.1), Spanish (DTS 5.1)
Video: 1080p/Widescreen 1.85
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Disc Size: 44.21 GB
Total Bitrate: 43.06 Mbps
Codecs: MPEG-4 AVC
Region(s): A, B, C

Universal Studios Home Entertainment provided me with a free copy of the Blu-ray I reviewed in this Blog Post.
The opinions I share are my own.


PLOT SYNOPSIS


Inspired by the true story of a young Ruth Bader Ginsberg (FELICITY JONES), On the Basis of Sex depicts a then-struggling attorney and new mother facing adversity in her fight for equal rights. When Ruth takes on a ground-breaking case, she knows the outcome could alter the courts’ view of gender discrimination. Stronger together, Ruth teams up with her husband, Martin Ginsberg (ARMIE HAMMER), to fight the case that catapults her into one of the most important public figures of our time.

 

SPECIAL FEATURES – 3.0/5


The release comes with a slightly title-embossed, semi-glossy slip cover. Inside is a redemption code for the Digital HD copy. Not exactly heavy on features, but there are three featurettes: A Supreme Team: Making On the Basis of Sex (6:24) taking viewers behind the scenes and with interviews by the cast and crew; Legacy of Justice (3:04) on RBG’s impact on society; and Martin and Ruth: A Loving Relationship (3:04) examining the bond between the two.

 


VIDEO – 4.5/5


Universal goes to Blu-ray court releasing On the Basis of Sex where it’s presented in the original 1.85 widescreen aspect ratio and given a 1080p high-definition transfer. The picture is what one would expect from a new release: colors are bright throughout and detail is sharp and nicely defined. There were no noticeable instances of aliasing or artifacts making it for a clean looking picture.

AUDIO – 4.0/5


The included DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track is perfectly fine for a movie that is pretty much 99% dialogue with the remaining 1% reserved for ambient noises or the score. Nothing amazing but still has a nice depth-filled in-home experience.

 


OVERALL – 3.0/5


The story in of itself isn’t always strong, but easily made up with some great performances from Felicity Jones and Armie Hammer, though if you want to know more about Ginsberg, the documentary RBG is the better way to go.

 

 

 

 

Check out some more 1080p screen caps by going to page 2. Please note, these do contain spoilers.

Please follow and like us:
error

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.