Here are the box office results for the weekend of December 17 – December 19, 2010:
1. Tron Legacy (Buena Vista) – $44.03m (new)/$44.03m
2.Yogi Bear (Warner) – $16.41m (new)/$16.41m
3. Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage Trader (Fox) – $12.39m (-48.4%)/$42.75m
4. The Fighter (Paramount) – $12.14m (+3,945.0%)/$12.57m
5. Tangled (Buena Vista) – $8.78m (-38.8%)/$127.92m
8. How Do You Know (Sony) – $7.84m (new)/$7.84m
It seems Tron Legacy‘s opening weekend were in-line with most sane predictions and for a sequel to a film released 28 years prior, it’s not too bad, yet at the same time it’s still underwhelming given all the hype (which I never bought especially since the original Tron is only available via third party vendors at very high prices, thus I never had a chance to even see it). Yogi Bear thankfully did not do the same sort of business that the Alvin and the Chipmunk movies did during this same period of time, How Do You Know despite a pretty aggressive TV ad campaign barely made a blip and will be out of theaters pretty soon it would seem, while The Fighter rises up the chart thanks to a mass theater expansion and some Golden Globe nods. The one movie I plan on seeing in the coming weeks is Black Swan as I’m interested to see what the buzz is about, plus I am a fan of Aronfosy’s previous works.